Hello and welcome to our 19th episode of Freedom-Cast. We are happy you once again are tuning into our show.
In this episode we are talking about weird Christmas traditions from around the world, as well as discussing some of our favorites that we practice right here. We are hoping it might give you some ideas for you and your family to use this year or next.
We used these two sites for ideas so check them out:
Weird traditions throughout the world
- Gävle Goat, Sweden: People try to burn down a goat
- Krampus, Austria: The anti Santa
- The Belsnickel was a real thing... http://articles.mcall.com/2013-11-29/entertainment/mc-belsnickel-christmas-pennsylvania-dutch-20131129_1_candy-pennsylvania-dutch-christmas-furs
- Kentucky Fried Christmas Dinner: Japan:
- Norway: People hide their brooms from evil spirits.
- Venezuela: They skate to church
- Germany: The Christmas pickle in the tree, first to find gets a unique gift.
- Ukraine: They decorate their trees with an artificial spider and web
- Estonia: Families head to the sauna together during Christmas Eve
- Iceland: The Yule Cat mythical beast. If people don’t receive new clothing before Christmas even this beast will eat them!
- Italy: Children believe in a witch named Befana who delivers sweets and toys on January 5th
- Slovakia: The most senior man throws loksa pudding at the ceiling, the more that sticks the better!
- Canada: Letters addressed to Santa Claus North Pole Canada are both opened and replied to!
Our favorite traditions:
- Making a Christmas song together
- Smashing gingerbread houses
- Late night Christmas eve service
- Sitting on the steps waiting for presents
Merry Christmas and happy new year to you all!
-Jordan and Miranda
PS: The video promised is below. My voice is not great so please forgive me! 😉